St John's Methodist Church Graveyard South Parade, Ossett. WF5 0EL
Sadly, St. John's Methodist Church closed in January 2020.
The graveyard is still owned and maintained by the Aire & Calder Methodist Circuit. If you need to make contact in relation to the graveyard, please click here
The first burial took place in the graveyard in 1846 and, though the graveyard is closed to new graves, burials and the internment of ashes still takes place in existing graves.
The historical registers of burials in the graveyard are spread across three books.
Book 1 and Book 2 are continuous, while Book 3 contains a number of additional records overlapping with Book 2.
Book 1 (1846-1882, plus one entry each from 1906 and 1921)
Book 2 (1883-2021)
Book 3 (1891-1976)
Images of the pages from these books can be downloaded below. Places of abode have been redacted from the mid 1950s onwards. The places of abode are unredacted in the original documents which will be available at Wakefield Archives from Autumn 2022.
Commonwealth War Graves
There are a number of war graves in the graveyard. For further information search for Ossett St. John's on the Commonwealth War Graves website
1st World War Memorial
The 1st World War memorial that was in the church is now in The Well Being Garden at the Ossett War Memorial Community Centre on Prospect Road.
To find out more about these men go to Ossett Heritage – Lest we Forget and put their name in the site's search box.